VA Benefits and Claims

Things to Do to Initiate Your VA Benefits and Claims

  1. Make copies of all marriage and divorce decrees.
  2. Make copies of all dependent children’s birth certificates and social security cards.
  3. Make hard copies of your service medical and military records, as well as medical documentation from any source (private, civilian doctors, hospitals, clinics, etc.)
  4. Copy of current DD-214.
  5. Contact your local NAAV office if you have any questions pertaining to this process at

(202) 465-3296 or (202) 355-3879; email:

6. Contact your local NAAV Veterans’ Service Officer once you have completed the above

cited items. NAAV will then do a complete review of all medical documentation and assist

you in filing out all necessary forms. We will also assist you in submitting your complete claim

to the VA for processing.

Request Pertaining to Military Records

Standard Form 180 should be completed, mailed and faxed to: National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100; telephone (314) 801-0800; fax (314) 801-9195; Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.

NAAV highly recommend sending your Standard Form 180 via US Postal Service and Faxing to the number provided above with a follow-up call to ensure arrival of mailed and faxed copy for processing.

In addition, you can also request your military and medical treatment records from the Department of Veterans Affairs, Intake Center, P.O. Box 4444, Janesville, WI 53547-4444; fax (844) 531-7818 using the same Standard Form 180.

We hope this information is helpful.

Become A Regular Supporter

Become a regular supporter of our veterans by subscribing as a NAAVETS member. For a small cost each month, your support can go a long way to helping veterans in need!

Subscribe Now