Women Veteran Health Care

Did you know?

A Women Veterans Program Manager is assigned to advise and advocate for Women Veterans at the VA Medical Center nationwide. The Program Manager help with coordination of all medical services needs such as reproductive health as well as chronic conditions. Special services need such as reproductive health as well as chronic conditions. Special services are also available to women who have experienced Military Sexual Trauma (MST). VA provides free, at no cost, counseling and treatment for mental and physical health conditions related to MST. For more information, about VA Medical Center programs by e-mail at vet.center@va.gov; by calling the Readjustment Counseling Service (RCS) at 202-461-6530 or visit: www.va.gov/directory/guide/vetcenter_flsh.asp

In addition, the Vet Center Combat Center is a 24/7 center. Combat Veterans and their family members may call for assistance at toll free 800-WAR-VETS (927-8387).

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Women Veterans Call Center 855-829-6636 or visit: www.womenshealth.va.gov. Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday: 8:00 am – 10:00 pm EST; Saturday: 8:00 am – 6:30 pm EST

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Bereavement Counseling

Bereavement Counseling is offered, at no cost, to parents, spouses and children of Armed Forces personnel who died defending our nation. The VA’s bereavement counseling is performed at the community-based Vet Centers near the families requesting assistance. For more information, contact the Readjustment Counseling Service (RCS) at 202-461-6530 or

e-mail at vet.center@va.gov.

Aid and Attendance and House bound Benefits (Special Monthly Pension)

Veterans and surviving spouses who are eligible for VA pension are eligible for higher pension rates if they qualify for aid and attendance or housebound benefits. Claimants can apply for aid and attendance or housebound benefits by submitting the VA Form 21-2680, visit: www.va.gov/vaforms; call a VA regional office at 800-827-1000 or visit the nearest VA health care facility for further assistance.

Employment opportunities for Women Veterans

A few job websites for Women Veterans include the following:

Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Human Resources Management:


Department of Labor Veterans site:


America’s Job Bank:




VA Research Website are:

Website for HSR&D


For HSR&D studies:


Focusing on Women Veterans research:




Women Veterans History


Where to Find U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for the Following:

Veterans Affairs Health Care Benefits

Call 877-222-VETS (8387) Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm EST

Apply online at www.vets.gov/healthcare/apply

Apply by mail – pick up an application at the local VA health care facility.

For locations, go to: www.va.gov/directory

Apply in person at any VA health care facility.


If you have disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service, you may be eligible for monthly benefits, as long as you were separated or discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. To receive compensation, you must have the following: a current physical and mental disability; an injury or disease in service that caused a disability or aggravated a disability that existed prior to service; and a link between your current disability and the injury or disease in military service. For more information, visit: www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/types-disability.asp and www.benefits/va.gov/compensation/types-dependency_and_indemnity_parents.asp

Apply online through eBenefits at www.ebenefits.va.gov.

For help call your local Veterans’ Service Organizations.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program can help Veterans with service-connected disabilities find meaningful careers. For more information, visit: www.genefits.va.gov/vocrehab

Transition and Employment

The VA’s Office of Transition and, Employment and Economic Impact (TEEI) help Service members and Veterans and their family members use their benefits to achieve economic success. To contact a benefits advisor, email: VeteranEmployment.vbaco@va.gov. For more information, visit: www.benefits.va.gov/teei/tap-curriculum.asp#cttt

Education Benefits

The VA can help you with your education to further your employment success. To learn more about eligibility criteria, current pay rates and Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, visit: www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_gibill.asp and www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

Home Loans Benefits

VA helps Service members, Veterans and eligible surviving spouses with home loans. VA home loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies. For complete list of service requirements, visit: www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/purchaseco_eligibility.asp

Life Insurance Benefits

VA provides life insurance benefits to protect your loved ones. To determine your eligibility criteria, visit: www.beneftis.va.gov/insurance/sgli; www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/sglidisabled.asp; and www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/tsgli.asp

Pension Benefits

Veterans who served during wartime-period and meets certain age requirements and/or a surviving family member of a Veteran family who meets the eligibility requirements may be eligible to receive a tax-free supplemental income from the VA. Veterans must have at least 90 days of wartime military service and age 65 or older; totally and permanently disabled; a patient in a nursing home; receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI); or receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI). To apply online go to www.ebenefits.va.gov. Submit your claim by mail or in person download and complete VA Form 21P-527EZ pdf. To find your regional benefit office: go to: www.va.gov/directory

Burial and Memorial Benefits

VA offers burial benefits to include grave site in at any of the 135 national cemeteries that have space available. This benefit includes opening and closing the grave, perpetual care, a Government headstone or marker, a burial flay and a Presidential Memorial Certificate all at no cost the Veterans’ family. For Information about requirements, call 866-900-6417; email: NCA.Scheduling@va.gov; or follow-up call to 800-535-1117; visit: www.cem.va.gov.

Military Medals and Records

Direct requests for replacement of medals, decorations and awards to the branch of the military in which the Veteran served. For more information, call Military Personnel Records at 314-801-0800, or toll-free at 866-272-6272. Send an e-mail to: MPR.center@nara.gov.

To request replacement of military records you may: download and complete Standard Form 180 at www.archives.gov/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf; make your request online through eBenefits, at: www.ebenefits.va.gov; or write to: NPRC Military Personnel Records, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138. Visit: www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel

Correcting Military Records

To request correction of military records, download and complete DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Records. Mailing instructions are on the form. Download DD Form 149 at: www.dtic.mil.whs/directive/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf

Other than Honorable Discharges

Veterans separated under other than honorable conditions may request that their discharge be reviewed and appeal considered within 15 years of the date of separation. To request a review of discharge from military service, download and complete DD Form 293, Application for the Review of Discharge from the Armed Forces of the United States. Mailing instructions are provided on the form. Download DD Form 293 at: www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/forms/eforss/dd0293.pdf

Appeals of VA Claims Decisions

Veterans and other claimants for VA benefits have the right to appeal decisions made by the VA regional office, medical center or National Cemetery Administration office. A claimant has one year from the date of the notification of a VA decision to file an appeal. For information, visit: www.bva.va.gov/how_do_I_appeal.asp

Other Contact Information

  • Bereavement Counseling 202-461-6530
  • Caregiving Support 855-260-3274
  • Civilian Health and Medical Program (CHAMPVA) 800-733-8387
  • Debt Management Center 800-827-0648
  • Education Benefits 888-442-4551
  • Headstones and Markers 800-697-6947
  • Health Care Benefits 877-222-8387
  • Homeless Veterans 877-424-3838
  • Home Loan Benefits 877-827-3702
  • Life Insurance (SGLI, VGLI) 800-419-1473
  • National Cemetery Scheduling Office 800-535-1117
  • Pension Benefits 877-294-6380
  • Presidential Memorial Certificate Program 202-565-4964
  • VA Benefits 800-827-1000
  • Vet Center Call Center 877-927-8387
  • Veterans Crisis Line 800-273-8255, press 1
  • Women Veterans Call Center 855-829-6636

Become A Regular Supporter

Become a regular supporter of our veterans by subscribing as a NAAVETS member. For a small cost each month, your support can go a long way to helping veterans in need!

Subscribe Now